Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Race

Yes, I am still alive. Yesterday, after about 4 hours of sleep, Brett & I woke up at 3:30am to go to the shuttles.  We were bused up to Eden where the starting line was. Unfortunately, we had to stand in the cold for about 1.5 hrs before the race started. We all tried to huddle up to some fires to keep warm (it was around 35 degrees) and I used the port-a-potty 3x to make time go faster ... didn't work.  The start of the race was a lot of fun with 2,000 other runners, a band, and the little bit of adrenaline that was left after waiting around for so long.
After the gun went off it took a long time for me to tread my way through the crowds of runners to get to my pace. I was a little intimidated by the big hill that started after the 1st mile, but it actually didn't seem bad at all. Thankfully, after mile 5 there was a lot of downhill which was fun.  I felt pretty good until the last 2 miles, all I could think at that time was "I hate running, why am I doing this, please let me walk."  I kept running.  The last mile was painful.
I wanted to run the race under 2 hrs 5 minutes... my time was 2:01:34 yipee!!!
Brett's goal was under 1:40.. He got 1:39:01. All the other people I ran with got their goals also!  Good job Annie, Brian, Clint, Sam & Kim!!! Brett's cousin Trent ran the full marathon and came in 8th overall - way to go!!!

I don't have any pictures to post so I will have to post them later.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Woo-hoo! Nice job Jessica!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation! Seriously, I think it's awesome that you finished the race, let alone accomplished your goal! It must feel so good. And how fun that you all did it together!

I can't wait for pics!

Amy said...

YAY!! Congrats on meeting your goal! I think you guys are totally awesome. Running a half is such an amazing thing to accomplish. Good work!

I am sad I didn't see you guys though!

Jenn said...

lYou and Bret kicked butt! Way to go! And you signed up for another one??? Crazy!

Anonymous said...

Good job, Jessica and Brett. Thanks for blogging about your experiences in the race!!

Shelly Karren said...

You made it! I'm so proud of you all. xo

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

Great Job Jessica!!!! You are amazing. What an accomplishment. I got to thinking after your last post, I wonder if races are like labor. Going into it you know it is going to be hard work and you know there will be pain involved, and you start to worry if you are really ready. Afterwords, there was pain and it was hard...but you are never sad you did it.