Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Walk in My Shoes

I know for some it is hard to believe that I actually "work" while at work. Well, I do! My job is interesting. Sometimes I feel like I am a mother trying to tell all of her children to get off their butts!!!
I should start writing down some of the answers patients give me to common questions like: Do you exercise? Answer "I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment." What is that supposed to mean??? I also live on a 3rd floor of an apartment but it does not count as an exercise routine. Another fun question for someone diagnosed with high cholesterol: What do you eat for breakfast? Answer "I eat really healthy breakfasts; I have 2 eggs, some bacon, and a glass of milk (whole milk of course)." Are you kidding me?
Most of my patients think they are in the best of shape (see picture below). I had a patient yesterday that had a HUGE gut and told me straight to my face that he exercises 1 hour per day at the gym. Maybe he thought I was blind or something. I had to bite my tongue.

Here are some of the topics I get to talk about every day:
Hyperlipidemia= high cholesterol
Hypertension= high blood pressure
Type 2 diabetes
BPH=enlarged prostate
My personal favorite; ED= erectile dysfunction
COPD=emphysema
PTSD=post traumatic stress disorder
So if you have any questions about the above problems I would be glad to help.




7 comments:

Amy said...

That makes me laugh, Love the cartoon!

Jacob said...

Do you ever deal with guys having the problem they were warned about in the ED commercials? You know, the 4+ hour erection. I can't imagine someone actually going to the hospital with such a problem. But I am sure you deal with many odd things.

Brett and Jessica said...

Jake, I have seen the problem once in the ER. I will go into more detail in person; he he.

Annie said...

Hilarious. Love that picture. Thanks for the laugh.

Lorien said...

Oh Jessica,
How I love your stories!!! You crack me up. Can't wait to see you soon.

Shelly Karren said...

That post gave me a good laugh. I probably won't need help with any of that stuff anytime soon, but if any of the men in my life need answers to those questions, I'll let you know :). Shelly

Anonymous said...

I hear you guys just moved into your new place. So exciting!!! Congrats!!!