Tate has an addiction. A bad one. To his blankie. It all started with this...
this is the blankie we took him home from the hospital with... and he remembers that.
One month later he was still in love.
Around 6 months old he decided that it both smelled and tasted good.
and so it was (and is) always in his mouth.
He gives it much love and attention.
Now we have a slight problem. His blankie is stained (I know it is totally gross!) and I can't get the stains out. For Christmas, Grandma Karren was nice enough to give him a blankie that looks just like his...same color, same fabric. He knows it's an impostor. He takes one sniff and throws it aside. I wouldn't really mind if I didn't have to take this gross blanket anywhere in public, but every time he gets babysat he has to have it because he will not nap/sleep without it.
The picture below is of the old blankie with the new impostor next to it. Don't you love the yellow stains (so embarrassing and funny!). If anyone has ideas how to get the stain out please help!






6 comments:
Thats awesome. I wouldn't worry about the stains at all. I think all moms would understand.
And I love all the cute pics of him and his blankie.
Mmmm that is so cute! Not sure how to get the stain out, but I'd indulge him in it. :) So sweet of Kathy to try and make a replica. :)
Enjoyed your story about the blanket--he surely is a smart baby to be able to tell the old from the new one.
Have you seen my girls' blankies???? They make Tate's look brand new. The girls both have addictions to their special blankies and won't sleep without them (Avie will; Eliza won't) and they are beyond disgusting. We also tried to give Avie a replacement - out of the exact same fabric - and she wanted nothing to do with it. Such a bummer. Good luck...
Jess... I have had my special blankie for over 20 years (Brent had even named it Itchy and Scratchy)... Julien fell in love with it and stole it from me. I am still upset by it... even after 3 years. There is no duplicate! He won't sleep without it and drags it everywhere. Luckly it is multi colored so you can't see the stains!
LOL I love that you call it the Imposter. that is a GREAT name for it!
I was a blanket kid to, and I was hooked on my blanket for an old enough age that I can tell you, from the kids perspective what the problem is with new blankets, or how to help.
New blankets smell funny. In order to help make this blanket more appealing, you must make it stinky and gross too. Now, it doesn't have to be stained, but you need to get it to smell like his regular blankie. My mom would steal my special blanket and wash it periodically and I would be traumatized each time because then it would smell WRONG. Smell is HUGE. You might want to try throwing it in with his dirty clothes and try to stink it up. Also, it's probably not as worn as his. Back it over with your car? LOL But smell is HUGE. It's got to smell right. New blankets smell wrong.
My mom was smart enough to get several duplicate blankies of my special blankie when I was little, but she wasn't smart enough to cycle them out, so I got hooked on one particular one and rejected the rest. Eventually my blanket disintegrated (literally, it disappeared, shredded, broke down until it was just a couple inches big by late elementary school) and I'm still broken up about it. :(
In terms of getting the stain out, you could always just DYE the whole blanket a fresh shade of blue, or you could bleach the whole thing and try to make it mostly white.
Hope that helps. I loved this post. LOL
Post a Comment