Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Why I love my job.

The last patient of my day was one to remember. I walked into the exam room where he was sitting connected to a blood pressure machine. He had on a white t-shirt with red suspenders on. I could tell as I introduced myself to him that he was blind; he stood up and said with a big smile on his face, "It is such a pleasure to meet you."  (I will call him Mr. P - for patient confidentiality).

As I sat and listened to Mr.P telling me about his life, I was thoroughly entertained.  He is 81 years old and up until just recently was living by himself (even though he is newly blind). He works 20-30 hrs per week as a bagger at a local grocery store and LOVES it.  He also loves to garden, but has to get his face inches from the dirt in order to see the seed he is planting.

Sadly, last year, only months before their 50 year wedding anniversary his wife passed away.  He said, "Now I have a lot of girlfriends (at the grocery store and such), but I will only have one sweetheart."  He melted my heart. 

I absolutely love my (as Mr.P stated) OLDER men....not OLD.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Love this story so much.

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

unThat is so sweet... love it... I bet you are such an amazing nurse!

Amy said...

So awesome. Things like that make jobs good.

Will we be seeing you on Sunday?

Laura said...

Aw!! I think that that is why I love my job too!! I love seeing the old couples walking out hand in hand! It makes me smile and think that even though it might be tough now look at what I get to become (as in they all look so happy and contant with there life) I just love it!! It is a constant reminder for to be always greatful for my loved ones and freinds that I have for some day they might not be around anymore.

Anonymous said...

Glad you like old men--hope you like old ladies too.It will be fun to see you and Tate on Sunday!